QEP 10900Q 35-Inch Manual Tile Cutter Review
When it comes to cutting ceramic tiles, glass and porcelain; tile cutters are usually the first name that pops up. These heavy duty power tools are quite essential in the home. They make jobs like laying tile flooring or kitchen backsplash easy to accomplish especially for DIY enthusiasts.
There are all kinds of tile cutters with the most common ones being Manual tile cutters like the QEP 10900Q 35-Inch Manual Tile Cutter that is being reviewed on this page. Manual tile cutters allow us to cut ceramic, porcelain and even extruded tiles without the use of electricity and the cut is usually performed on a straight line. Manual cutters come in different shapes, sizes and designs but they use the same system to cut.
QEP 10900Q 35-Inch Manual Tile Cutter
Our tile cutter reviews include manual, porcelain as well as ceramic tile cutters. A ceramic tile cutter is a tool for making hand powered cuts on glazed ceramic tiles. It usually includes a base with a slight rise above its centerline. This base could be made with aluminium with a little bit of rubber pads for increasing stability during use and steel rails for smooth cuts.
Ceramic tile cutters like the QEP 10900Q 35-Inch Manual Tile Cutters are helpful tools that works by scoring the material before breaking them at score. They are used for cutting ceramic tiles as well as for cutting glass. It is made from tough and durable materials that includes chrome plated steel rails and ergonomic high leverage bicycle grip with enhances the grip during cutting and ensures precision. It has some components like:
1. Base. This is where the tiles are placed on before the cut. They are usually made of durable materials and the cutting line is always visible on the base.
2. Scoring head. This comes with the scoring wheel which weakens the tile before pressure is applied. It is usually made from tough and durable Tungsten Carbide. In the case of the QEP 10900Q, it comes with a 7/8 titanium-coated tungsten carbide ball bearing cutting wheel
3. Guide. This drives the scoring head and the handle in a straight line. It is usually made of steel and it can come as a single or double size for greater visibility of the scoring line before applying pressure on the tiles you intend to cut
4. Separator. This applies pressure onto the scored tiles in order to cut it
5. Lateral stop. Is an adjustable tool in the manual cutter that makes it easy to make repetitive cuts and it is quite useful if you need to cut lots of tiles in the same size. This “L” shaped tool saves you time and effort.
Specifications and Features
- Can cut porcelain and ceramic tiles up to 35-inch and 24-inch diagonally
- It has a straight edge measurement guide for easy and adjustable repetitive cuts
- It has a 7/8-inch titanium-coated tungsten-carbide scoring wheel
- Easy to maintain with compressed air or soap and water after use.
- Durable. The 10900Q 35in. Tile Cutter comes with dual chrome-plated rugged steel rails makes it easy to score smoothly even on large tiles
- Quality. Linear ball bearing slides for smooth scrolling during use. The ball bearing carriage is what enhances the efficiency of the cutter
- Ergonomic. The grip handle of your tile cutter matters a lot and we are happy to inform you that the 10900Q Tile Cutter has a large bicycle grip handle which reduces fatigue during cutting and make it easier to do
- Extra support. It has side arm extensions to support large format tiles.
- Saves Time. This tile cutter comes with a straight edge measurement guide for measuring and for easy monotonous cuts
- Precision. It cuts perfectly thanks to its replaceable 7/8 inches titanium-coated tungsten scoring wheel beneath the linear balls
- Cutting Ability. It gives a perfect cut every time you use it. It has a little learning curve at the beginning, after which you would be able to cut perfect tiles without leaving any chips on the corners of the cut
- Linear ball bearing carriage that enhances smooth scoring every time you use this tool
- Faster at cutting ceramic tiles
- It is quite affordable as compared to some other premium models with similar features
- It comes with a 90 days money back guarantee and a 1 year parts warranty to protect you during the first few weeks of usage.
- It only works for smooth surface tiles
- A bit of learning curve is required for first time usersIt can’t cut narrow strips of tile less than half-inch wide
- It doesn’t cut porcelain tiles well
Customer Reviews & Ratings
The QEP 10900Q 35 inch received 4.3 out of 5 stars from a total of 81 reviews. On Amazon it has 64 positive reviews and 17 critical reviews with almost 79% reviewers giving it greater than or equal to 4 stars and only 4% giving it 2 stars.
We found out that a lot of new owners were concerned about the learning curve that they have to go through at the initial stage. The learning curve was mainly about how to score and apply pressure without breaking the ceramic tiles. Users also commented about the amount of pressure he applied when cutting 24 inch porcelain tiles. Once, users got a hang of this, they were able to score and cut easily. Some users also complained about its inability to cut narrow strips less than half-inch wide and that it doesn’t cut porcelain tiles well.
From a detailed analysis of the customer reviews on top online malls across the country, we noticed that a lot of customers were impressed with the durability and effectiveness in cutting different ceramic tile sizes. It seems easy to score on the tiles and cut them. Users are also happy at its ease of use and durability of its parts especially tungsten carbide scoring head and the chrome steel guide.
It has a few hitches here and there when scoring tiles without smooth surfaces but the QEP 10900Q 35-Inch Manual Tile Cutter represents an affordable option for those who need a quality manual tile cutter for both porcelain and ceramic tiles.
QEP 10900Q 35-Inch Manual Tile Cutter with Tungsten Carbide Scoring Wheel for Porcelain and Ceramic Tiles can cut porcelain and ceramic tiles up to 35-inch to 24-inch smoothly. It comes at an affordable price and it is quite easy to use compared to other complex manual tile cutters on the market. It has a side arm extension to support larger tiles. An adjustable guide for repetitive cuts saving you on time and effort that would have been wasted and a large bicycle grip that makes cutting easier as you apply pressure on the tiles.
The QEP 10900Q 35-Inch Manual Tile Cutter has its problems as well and would require a bit of learning curve at the initial stage, but those are not deal breakers. The huge number of positive reviews on Amazon shows why many current owners rave about this product and why they see it as a good value for money.